Thursday, October 2, 2014

Make Your Own Canvas Art {DIY}

Good morning fellow DIYers!

I redecorated my baby's bathroom and decided to create a few things to go with the fabulous classic children's book, "Where the Wild Things Are."

We painted his bathroom a cool, mint green and added some multicolored chevron pieces to add some "pop" to his bathroom. I got the shower curtain, towels, and bathroom mat at Target (my favorite store :D). Then, I created the wall art based on all of these colors.

I made three different canvas pieces for his bathroom with some "Where the Wild Things Are" quotes. It was fun, easy, and quick!

To make your own canvases, you'll just need these simple supplies:
Paint brushes
Acrylic paint
A computer, printer, and pencils
Paint Pens
Blue painter's tape
And of course, canvases!

Paint your canvases with your choice of color. I painted mine blue, orange, and green.
I decided to use some painter's tape too and make a chevron pattern.


Paint as many layers as you want. It all depends on what kind of shade you want your canvas to be.

While it's drying (wait about an hr or two...although overnight is best) choose a font and a quote you want for your canvas. There are some great fonts on dafont.com. I actually found the "Where the Wild Things Are" font. This font cost $3, but most fonts are free for personal use.

Since I was doing a "Where the Wild Things Are" theme, I chose these quotes:

"We'll eat you up, we love you so!"
"Let the wild rumpus start!"
"King of all the wild things!"

Type up your quotes on your computer in your chosen font. Make sure you pick a good size that will fit your canvas. Print out the quotes.

Cut out the words and shade the back of the paper with a pencil. Make sure you shade a lot!


Place the words on top of your dry canvas and use painter's tape to hold the papers down.

Carefully trace over the letter with a pencil. The shading on the back of your paper will transfer onto your canvas.
If you look closely at this picture you can see the pencil lines.

Carefully, lift the papers off of your canvas and trace your pencil lines with your color choice of paint pen.

Admire and display!

Here are the canvases I made for Baby Jake's bathroom!

I also found this frame that I thought matched his bathroom perfectly. I printed a picture of Max from "Where the Wild Things Are" and I put it in the frame for Jake's bathroom counter.

My next task is to take some pictures from the book and put those in frames and hang those somewhere is Jake's bathroom too!

I hope you have some fun making some canvases. Go WILD!

Marine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik